You can make a difference in other people's lives if you know how to speak the language of medicine. With the high demand for healthcare workers, mastering medical terminology is an important first step in your healthcare career. This online medical terminology course will help you gain a greater understanding of the human body, how to describe it, and how to use medical terminology in a healthcare setting.
6 Months / 60 Course Hrs
Self-Paced - Instructor Led
Study on your own schedule
What You Will Learn
- Define the word parts that make up most medical terms—roots, prefixes, and suffixes
- Explain the functions of the various body systems
- Identify diagnoses, procedures, and treatments common to each body system
- Understand common medical abbreviations and acronyms
- Recognize the importance of accuracy in spelling and pronunciation of medical terms
How The Course is Taught
- Self-paced, online course
- 6 months to complete
- Open enrollment, begin anytime
- 60 course hours
How You Will Benefit
- Better prepare for medical coding, medical records, or medical assisting certification exams
- Communicate effectively with other members of the healthcare team
- Understand the information contained in medical reports and health records
- Develop a foundation of knowledge about the human body that will enable you to be successful in your chosen medical career
- Obtain a certificate to prove your competency in the healthcare field
More Course Information
5 Reasons Why You Should Start A
Career in Medical Support
Are you detail-oriented and good with people? Then consider the following reasons to start a career in medical support:
- The jobs are predicted to increase: According to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, this career area is predicted to increase in jobs - mainly because the US population is aging.
- You can often work from home: Medical coders and other support staff often work from home, allowing them to balance work and family.
- You get to help people: Medical support staff are often the face of doctors and other physicians. You can address the needs of people right when they need them.
- Many careers can be the start of a small business: Why work for someone else, when you can provide these services yourself and grow a business!
- Medical support is portable: Every community has medical offices. Your career can go with you if you need to move.
We know balancing a family is challenging and we want to help you focus on your career too. Webster University is committed to empowering the spouses of those serving our country through our online courses.
Check out MyCAA and whether you qualify!
Offered through the DoD’s Spouse Education and Career Opportunities (SECO) program, the My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) scholarship is what’s known as a workforce development program. Its benefit is simple — it gives qualified military spouses up to $4,000 in tuition assistance, which they can apply to a variety of adult education programs aimed at helping them get ready for a successful portable career. So, who qualifies for the money and who doesn’t? Primarily, MyCAA was made for spouses of junior Active Duty, Guard, or Reserve members on Title 10.
Medical Support Career Courses
CBCS Medical Billing and Coding (Voucher Included)
CBCS Medical Billing and Coding is an ideal medical coding training course for students new to a medical career. This nationally recognized course combines the Medical Billing and Coding course with 60 hours of Medical Terminology training to give you a competitive edge in the healthcare field.
Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA)
The 100% online course will prepare you to work as a Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA), designated by the National Healthcare Career Association (NHA).